Skip to main content

How Does Jesus See Me?

Santa Maria is on the right.
 Today I visited Chiesa di Santa Maria Dei Miracoli in Piazza del Popolo. Santa Maria is the usual baroque styled church found all over Rome. What was unusual about it though, is that it carries a modern art installation by Marco Manzo titled, "Our Hands". Marco Manzo is an internationally known Roman visual artist, tattooist, and sculptor. 

Manzo's installation is a series of sculpted hands attached to mirrors. Some of the hands are grasping the air, others are holding weapons such as an axe or a gun. One hand has a nail through it. These hands depict the hands of Jesus, his executioners, and Mary Magdalene. The hands pierced and tortured are the hands of Jesus. The hands poised to inflict violence belong to the executioners of Christ. And the hands grasping are the hands of Mary Magdalene. These hands remember two moments in Mary's life which occurred only three days apart: the first moment occurred when Mary stood beside the cross bearing the dead body of our Lord and reached for him; the second moment occurred when Mary met Jesus in the garden after his Resurrection and grasped his robe. 

As I looked at the hands, I could not help but see my own. Although the hands represent those of Jesus, his executioners, and Mary, they are anonymous hands. They are white and carry no distinguishing features. The impact this has is powerful: when I look at each hand, the mirror on which it is mounted, also displays me. 

Reflecting on Manzo's installation, the Italian theologian, Giuseppe Lorizio, writes: "The contemplation of violent hands and loving hands accompanies our journey, so that everyone may look at their own hands and ask themselves whether they are a source of suffering or consolation for others, not only for those we love but especially for the wretched of the earth we encounter on our way." Lorizio's reflection challenges me to interrogate myself: who am I to the person beside me? How do they perceive me, my words, and my actions? 

Whenever I repeat my baptismal vows, I restate my promise to recognize Christ in every person. Do I do that? Or do I simply assume that I do?

Earlier this week, Monsignor Gabriel Quicke said that ecumenism, the work towards Christian unity, requires a conversion of the heart and mind so that we can become open towards the faith of others. Conversion is hard. Before I can change, before I evaluate my actions, I have to be honest about who I am with myself. I have to face myself. It is not a coincidence that the hands Manzo sculpted are mounted on mirrors. The mirror reflects the sculpted hand back to itself. We cannot hide from ourselves even when we try.

The hands bring forth another question: do I recognize Christ when I see myself in the mirror? When I look in the mirror, do I see a person loved by Jesus and saved by him when he died on the cross 2,000 years ago? The grasping hands and the hands holding weapons are redeemed by Christ's hands. Conversion is hard. Being honest with myself is hard. The parables of the lost sheep and the prodigal son that Jesus tells disciples, reminds us that Christ is gentle with us as we struggle to follow him. His response to our ups and downs, our successes and failures, as we struggle to convert is love. 

In the end, Manzo's installation challenges us to see ourselves the way Christ sees us--as Children of God, loved and redeemed by the Trinue God who created.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parting ways

Our last dinner with the University of Toronto group was truly memorable. Overall, the Rome trip wa a great experience and I learned a lot about ecumenism, something I had no experience with before. The concept of ecumenism as a dialogue, where one can be "strong in their identity yet open to dialogue", really resonated with  It's inspiring to see how such an approach can foster understanding and unity, even with our own "small group" from Toronto, there was so much diversity (again, it included an Anglican priest, a secular Jew, and 3 Catholics). Yet, despite our differences, there will always be a way to talk and talk to each other, if they share space with each other. I will truly miss this group , and the larger group at the Centro Pro Unione. I am looking forward to more enlightening conversations and shared ecumenical experiences in the future!  Very grateful again to Dr. Attridge, Dr. Skira and the RSM management for this wonderful opportunity! Until next

Welcome! Rome Ecumenism Course - 2024

Welcome to our journey of studying ecumenism and interfaith relations in Rome in the summer of 2024. Please visit often as we share insights, new learnings, adventures, pictures, etc., from our three weeks in the eternal city. We’re glad to have you along!

The Old and The New

Chiostro del Bramante (Matteo Carboni) Rome is a city in which the modern world plays with the past. To me, the Chiostro del Bramante, stands as an example of the ways this occurs in the Eternal City. The Chiostro was a monastery designed by Donato Bramante (1444-1515) and commissioned by Cardinal Oliviero Carafe around 1500 CE. Bramante incorporated elements of Greek and Roman architecture so characteristic of the Renaissance. Today, the Chiostro is a social and cultural hub in Rome. Part of the building features art exhibits. The current exhibit,  Emotion: Contemporary Art Tells the Story of Emotion , highlights the work of several artists from around the world. What struck me, as I walked through the installations, is how the modern art incorporated elements of Bramante's Renaissance architecture and decorations. Rather than hiding the ceilings and floors, many of the installations incorporated elements of building into the contemporary art. By doing this, the exhibit created an